Re: XYdos & new desktop

At 1/8/2003 10:37 PM -0500, Martin J. Osborne wrote:
helps a lot, but I have to say that some problems remain---my dedicated
cursor keys are still slow to respond, and the alt-cursor keys, which
require the NI function call at the start of their codes, aren't
corrected by Tame at all, it seems. Perhaps my keyboard is partly to
blame, or maybe it's the Dell hardware.
Agreed, Martin. It's still somewhat pokey, always a hint of a lag. If
you're banging out letters and memos, it's fine. But for all-day
composition, it's...well...a distraction, and there are too many of them
already without a screen that's cranky. (I'm buying TAME at all events and
appreciate the work the author and RH have done. Maybe the next iteration
will be better.) I'm on leave but I'm going in for some administrative
chores and the sysop at school is installing Virtual PC for me (on a Dell
Optiplex), which the department bought, so I'll set up W98SE on that and
give you a report. It's an expensive solution ($387 retail [without
academic discount] for core program and preconfigured W98Se add-on -- you
can save $149 if you have the opsys and use a standard install] for a home
machine. Bottom line on all this is the display issue. What are you willing
(able) to stare at all day? Like you I find the DOS box with U-Seibert's
fonts excellent for all-day work, so let's see what VPC does on the XP Pro
machine at school. Meanwhile, there is also the option (less expensive and
much discussed here) of a W98SE partition with a dual boot.

Michael Norman