Re: Full-screen vs. Windowed

Thanks Harry and Carl re the color files ... I will definitely keep this
I had already created a useful file myself (attached, just fyi ) ... I'd be
interested in what that file looks like to you guys -- .......
(Oh, I left in the non-color numbers past 256 because I wanted to look at
that again ... maybe learn something interesting .... the result was not
exactly what I expected here ....... I created the file by 10s up to 100,
then copied twice and globally edited for the 100s and then the 200s ... I
decided to see what happened .... this is what happened) ....
With this format, I can scroll through and see what the cursor looks like in
the situations close to what I encounter in my work .... I can easily pick
out enough colors for me to be able to operate in non-full-screen mode if I
HAD to .. that dot in column one is a flag I set in my four-column gutter
.... I have worn the N off my N key, hitting alt-N to go to next dot in
column 1 ... (this forces me to do a line-by-line review or edit ... as I
review a line, I turn off the dot --I can always find my place .... in a
typical index project I do that dedot procedure about four times ...)
And there's always more than one way to skin a cat.... I realize that I'm
not locked into setting color by using the 8 modes (my use of colors kind of
evolved, without my studying colors) ... I can insert an MDnn command and
associated MDNM command to block off text in a color .... so won't have to
keep modifying PRN file ...
(just fyi .. one way I use color is to block off a section of "raw" data in
an index, and put it in a subfile, but leave the original raw data in my
main file to be available to searches (I insert name of subfile at head of
blocked data) ... I turn this initial-raw-data a distinctive color, so that
when I land in it during a search, I know this is "inactive" data ...... I
edit and rewrite and reorganize to finalized index entry in those subfiles
... (managing those subfiles with dir's by size, or by time, or by name-- is
one reason I don't like using the state-of-the-art indexing software, in
which you can only edit within one record at a time ...) .. I also can move
data to the end of the index and keep it for searches -- but color code it
as inactive-but-edited, when I'm editing for a tight index and have to get
it as short as possible .... this stuff can be in pretty good shape, and I
can put it back into the index if I get index too short ... helps me hit a
target size ... I use a different color for that data ....
There are other things I code .... all with macros, or shorthand, to make
it as easy as possible ....
Another problem with non-full-screen, though, is how close the lines are
together. I tried to get them spaced out a little (when I got this computer,
not yesterday) ... and did not succeed. Might try again .... and then ask
list why it didn't work ....
The full-screen just stretches everything vertically a little bit, and makes
it so much easier to read .... but I could get used to that ...... I could
not get used to not being able to easily find the cursor .... .

Thanks all.
Marge