Re: Pining away for your old Northgate keyboard?

> From:     Leslie Bialler
> To:      xywrite@xxxxxxxx
> Subject:    Re: Pining away for your old Northgate keyboard?
> Date:     Wed, 12 Nov 97 19:22:57 +0000

> Gateway may still make those keyboards too. Dunno. I haven't seen 'em in their
> adds recently.

Completely different animal. The Northgate OmniKey keyboard was the
"power writer's" keyboard--click-tactile as smooth and solid as IBM,
function keys on the left where God intended them to be, a lily-pad
sized ENTER key, switchable fvor the location of CNTR ALT and CAPS
(complete with extra keycaps and a keycap puller). Jerry Pournelle
was a big advocate of them (there was even a special model made to
his specs for a time), and a lot of people who bought systems from
other people threw away the keyboard in favor of a Northgate.

I've bought two Gateways and been more than well pleased with those
decisions, but the Gateway keyboards have never come close to the
Northgate in quality or useability, IMO.

Best,

  K-Mac

  ---] Michael Paul McDowell, writing as Michael P. Kube-McDowell
  ---] Author of THE QUIET POOLS and STAR WARS: THE BLACK FLEET CRISIS
  ---] Web Site: http://www.sff.net/people/K-Mac
  ---] Newsgroup: sff.people.Kube-McDowell at server NEWS.SFF.NET