Amazing Discovery (to me)

Friends, my heart is racing.

I have found, at long last, A WAY TO CHANGE THE HATED DRAFT FONT IN XYWRITE
FOR WINDOWS!

Here's what you need to do: download a package called WOAFON14.ZIP. I found
mine by doing a Lycos search on "windows oem fonts". Maybe Nathan will let
me upload it to the ftp site.

This package contains a half-dozen fonts that are supposed to improve the
way DOS boxes look in Windows 3.0 and 3.1. My revelation came when I
realized that Agenda run in a DOS window in Windoze 3.1 displays its
characters exactly the same way the XyWin draft mode does, i.e. the plain
old Terminal font. Ergo, change Terminal and you change the draft font.

With this package, you simply install the fonts into Windows using the
control panel (the one I like is called lfl9x16.fon (as in Large Friendly
Font 9x16 pixels). Then use a text editor (Notepad, sysedit, or whatever, to
modify the following line in your "system.ini" file (to be found in the
Windows directory. Make sure to create a backup copy of system.ini before
you fool around with it. Windows can't live without it.)

**under the section labeled [boot], add a semi-colon in front of your oem
fonts line, e.g.

;oemfonts.fon=vgasys.fon  <=== your font could be different. This is what
mine says

**then below that, add

oemfonts.fon=lfl9x16.fon (or whichever of the "woafon14.zip" package fonts
you want to try)

Save and exit, then restart windows. With a little luck, XyWrite will come
back with a larger, rounder, infinitely more readable draft font. I haven't
experimented with all of the WOAFON14 package yet, so there may be other
surprises. If something goes wrong, just comment out the new line you added
in system.ini and remove the the semi-colon from the old line. Save and
reboot to bring back the old font.

Note that this font change should also affect other Windows apps that call
the oem font. I have no idea what to expect on that score.

Good luck!

Doug Beeson
beesond@xxxxxxxx