Re: html docs

At 12:46 PM 4/25/96 -0400, you wrote:
>≪If by "newline" you mean the arrow in a red box that you get when you >enter control-
Enter on the commandline, it sure doesn't find any ascii >10's for me! I'm using XyDos
4.016. [ ... ] Could you tell us your >version number and *exactly* what you put up on the
command line?≫ >--Harry Binswanger
> >Harry: Hope this clarifies it. It's there somewhere in the manuals, xyDos >3 and 4. As
I said, v4 makes it lots easier than v3. Newline is the >programming term for the combo
ascii 13/10--you come across it in many >contexts as escape \n or /n. In a discussion of
line endings the char is >more accurately called that than "carriage return," which is
only half of >the standard dos line ending. Typographically, a carriage return moves >the
action to the left margin, a linefeed advances the medium. My first >xyWrite
disappointment was finding that in printing it didn't provide for >carriage return, no
linefeed. It takes some mastery of the PostScript >language to get such typographic
niceties out of xyWrite. ... Ciao.   --a
> >              CMline: represented  obtained by keying
>                  by ascii #   default.kbd char > char
ascii #  xyDos  v3    v4  v3        v4
> ------------ -------  -------------------  --------------------
> newline     13+10      27    27  ^Enter    ^Enter
> carriage return  13      13    17  *.hlp: #13  ^Alt R
> linefeed      10      10    25  *.hlp: #10  ^Alt F
>                         ----------
>                         v3: Type 2 >
help frames
> >============================= adpFisher  nyc
> Yeah, thanks. Doug beat you to it. But I'm impressed that you two read manuals.
The old Xy3 manual was wonderful. Everything indexed. You won't find the above info in the
Cus. Guide index under: NN, search, wildcard, linefeed, or newline. I don't believe it's
indexed at all.
Still, since you love IBM-bashing (with some justification), you know the greatest
indexing story of all times: the old PC-DOS 3.3 manual's index had entries like:
 (Under W):

-What is code-page switching?

-Why do I need code-page switching?

I wonder only why they didn't have e.g., "config.sys" listed under "W"--to wit:
-Where in the manual do I find out about the config.sys?

Then there's the (apocryphal?) nerd legend about the unnamed manual that had the following
entries:

(Under I)
-infinite loop--see loop, infinite

(Under L)