raw ingredients

Phil wrote:
≪Most of them live mainly on prepared food, too; they have no idea what to do
with raw ingredients of any kind... :-( ≫
:-( indeed. What do IT students learn these days, I wonder. When I studied IT, we wrote programs (Basic, Fortran, Cobol). Then we took our stacks of punch cards down to the mainframe, loaded them in the hopper, and went home. Next day we collected our printouts (each student separated his own from the stack of endless perf-paper on the floor behind the mainframe). If we got GO (garbage out), we went back to the drawing boards and hammered our brains until we found the GI.
Modern students sound to me like ".... that most terribly impoverished
class of all, who have accumulated dross, but know not how to use it or
get rid of it." Thoreau, Walden, Chap. 1 Economy
I do Cisco training for corporate clients. Cisco has a CLI, similar to
Xy and Unix, and I do occasionally get an IT engineer from the server
dept. who has grown up knowing nothing but the Mr. Paperclip world of
Windows. I have a saying for them: "Real men don't click." I find the
people with Linux experience take to Cisco like fish to water. Tells ya
somethin', don't it. Give a man a fish and you feed him; teach him to
fish and he feeds himself.