ASCII Vs. ANSI

Can someone tell me why a paragraph symbol is an ANSI character (decimal
20) while the left arrow (decimal 27) is ASCII but not ANSI.
 I contacted the Nota Bene support with a number of questions - one of
which asked how I change the paragraph symbol as used in NB to the left
arrow as used in XWrite. The following was the response:
On the issue of the substituting an arrow for the paragraph symbol:
while
the arrow was an ASCII character, it is not an ANSI character, and only
ANSI
characters can be substituted.
Endquote
 I have previously been under the impression that the lower 128
characters were known as both ANSI and ASCII. Can someone tell me what
the difference is.
Dick Giering