Re: XYWrite 3.58

Paul,

I'm sure your feeling could probably be proven out. Xy3+ was faster,
especially if with the help files loaded. Another great feature about
3.57, now that I think of it: you could "unload" certain features when
you weren't using them. If memory serves, there was a function call, ME,
that would produce a menu with a map of what files were loaded and would
give you the option to unload. In version 4, this all was "automated,"
of course, and so you entered the world of "one size fits none," if you
know what I mean.

If I remember correctly, as I progressed from 286 to 386 to 486 to P1, 4
would always be one chip slower. I.e., 4 ran on a 486 as fast as 3 did
on a 386. And so forth. Come to think of it: it was when my P1 and Win
95 arrived, that I decided I could mothball old 3.57.

Paul Breeze wrote:

It depends what you need. I switched back to 3.57 a few months ago for much of my writing because it is the only way I can use the Microlytics speller on my current machine (the reason why, lack of extended memory with USB, was discussed on the list). I does virtually everything I need, and when it doesn't I can switch to XY4. I have a feeling, though I cannot quantify this, that XY3 is actually slightly smoother than XY4 in Windows 2000 in a DOS box (I have SP4 loaded). Paul On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:48:58 -0400, Leslie Bialler wrote: <3.56 was released mainly due to the autocorrection business, as you
-- Leslie Bialler, Columbia University Press lb136@xxxxxxxx 61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023 212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup