Re: can't reinstall

nikki meredith:

>I get a bad command error message. . . .

I wonder precisely what it is that you read, and precisely when it is that
you read it. But from what you say, it doesn't smell like a XyWrite
problem. More like an OS or hardware problem.

Using Explorer or the file management utility of your choice--even plain
old DIR from the MS-DOS prompt--can you read the directory and see
INSTALL.EXE? If you can't, maybe the diskette has gone bad (these things
happen).

Or it could be something even simpler. Can you read the directories of
other diskettes? You say you're using a notebook. I don't know which
notebook is which, but is your diskette drive installed properly? (Maybe
the diskette drive is a bit wonky. Mine certainly is--I've just been too
lazy/disorganized to replace it.)

If you can read the directory perfectly well and see INSTALL.EXE, then try
to describe the abortive installation procedure in more (horrible) detail.

+++++++++++++++++++

As for the earlier suggestions, my guess is that they're irrelevant. Harry
Binswanger:

>And, on a simpler level, are you sure the installer
>isn't named "setup.exe"?

With Xy 4.016 (which I have here), no, it's INSTALL.EXE. And I have a
feeling that you have to use it, or anyway that installing without using it
requires more brainpower--though I'm not going to check this now because my
diskette drive is complaining (see above).

A. Joseph Ross:

>was told by Tech Support that I had to disable the
>CD-ROM drive in order to get the XyWrite install to work

But I think that the XyWrite installation will at least *start up*, no
matter how many CD-ROM drives you have. (Rather, it will fizzle out--or
worse--before completion.)
Peter Evans