Re: OT: Anti-virus, Internet security softward

Lisa Kleinholz wrote:
Could anyone recommend a good Internet security software package that
includes anti-virus, spyware, trojan horse protection? I had Norton
Anti-virus and it's time to upgrade. I'm not particulary happy with
Norton.
Ditch Norton. Their subscription policies are less than sterling, and
I've heard horror stories about bugs. (We had it at the paper and also
at the EFA.) I've been using Trend Micro's PCCillan for AV, the free
ZoneAlarm for firewall, and SpyBot Search and Destroy (also free) for
anti-spyware. PCCillan (along with good habits) has kept the machine
clean, but at a price in log-on time. (That mightn't be an issue if you
have a broadband, always=on connection.)
The March PC World did a review of AV programs and gave top
honors to a new app called BitDefender 9 Standard, $30. A friend's
techie nephew swears by Kaspersky ($40), which ranked third on the PC
World tests. McAfee ranked second, but I once had McAfee utterly corrupt
a system; had to do a reinstall of everything; since then, I don't
tuouch it with a barge pole, which is probably not fair. PCCillan sank
to number 9.
I once used Panda, and it was fairly good, until it tried to "warn" me
that clip.exe was a virus. I sent them a blistering e-mail and let the
subscription, which was expiring, lapse. The nerve!
With all AV apps, the thing is that you HAVE to update the virus
signatures regularly. (Full disclosure: I don't as often as I should,
because on my phone lines it takes 3-4 hours.) Do as I say, not as I do.

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx