Re: OT: Anti-virus, Internet security software

AV software does slow down the processor, as Patricia noted. I had a
combination of Norton, Zone Alarm, SPyBot, and MailWasher running for
two years. The Zone Alarm and the MailWasher stopped everything
suspicious from even getting past the network card, so neither the
Norton nor the Spybot ever found anything to delete. I let the Norton
subscription lapse. I think there may be a free version of MailWasher,
but if not it is still worth the price and you don't have to keep
updating it (as you do with AV software). MailWasher is at

http://www.firetrust.com

What MailWasher does is let you preview emails while they are on the
server, including headers and attachments. You can delete suspicious
ones on the server. It also has a user-definable spam filter.

Most viruses target Microsoft applications and the Windows OS. If you
have Linux or Mac, you won't be a target.