Re: I want to go geek .. and VPC?

** Reply to message from Carl Distefano  on Wed,
30 May 2007 22:04:44 -0400

>> Vista does FullScreen VGA (text mode/black
>> screen/looks like DOS) *perfectly*!

> Well, hmmm. There is a lot of chatter to the contrary in Usenet
> (microsoft.public.windows.vista.general and elsewhere). Also,
> Edward Mendelson addresses the question, here:
> http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/vista.html

All I know is, I bought an H-P Pavilion a6040n (a pretty basic
Desktop box with 32-bit Vista Home Premium, fast Pentium4
processor, and nothing else special), installed XyWrite,
switched to FullScreen (Alt-Enter, or maybe just set it up for
fullscreen in Properties -- can check this tomorrow when I
return home)...

And it worked as expected. I didn't check which video card it
uses, because shortly after installation I disconnected the
monitor, and now access the machine only across the Internet
(using VNC -- it's a web server, running 24/7 in a closet).

I don't see where Mendelson specifically says that there's no
FullScreen... In fact, he seems to say the contrary! 640x480
VGA...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx