Murphy's Law: (was Re: off-topic: scheduled backup to external hard drive

For instance,
lots of times I've plugged the data cable to a drive upside down.
Then-Captain Murphy first formulated his law, "If there's
anything the contractor's tech rep can do wrong, he will," when a
contractor's rep plugged in something upside down. I'm told that
there's an Air Force Warrant Officer who spent some decades in
the lock-up at Fort Leavenworth because he whittled away some of
the shell of one plug in an airplane so that he could stick that
plug into a socket where it wasn't supposed to go. The result was
a fatal plane crash. . . .
Murphy's point: make it so difficult to plug things together the
wrong way that lazy [insert pejoratives] will find it easier to
put them together the way they should be put together. This is
why a well-designed 110-volt plug is so difficult to plug into a
220-volt outlet.
George H Scithers