For KFrank re: "restoring view message"

> Bob-- that message that keeps popping up on your screen telling
you to press > Ctrl_Shift+V to restore the view is a system
message put there by the > programmer who did the full view
because he feared that users would get into > that mode and not
know how to get out of it. He set it up to re-display when > no
other message was active.  > > Apparently you have your default
MB set to 1, which displays system messages > in message boxes.
If you change that to 0 that message will simply appear >
benignly on the status line. Obviously this needs to be looked
at so as not > to be so annoying when MB is 1, since many users
may choose that anyway.
> > K.

Kenny, if MB ever equalled 1, it was the first thing I changed
two years ago. This is a performance issue, not an MB issue; and
that's why I sent you benchmark numbers. Here they are again. The error msg is not so
"benign"! Each time Xy puts it up the whole system takes a huge
hit. First with, then without, msg \688 (the timed routine simply
issues 1000 keystrokes):

XyWin  XP 14.65 secs with default UI=1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0
XyWin  WG 14.81 secs
XyWin  WZ 22.19 secs

XyWin  XP  3.85 secs with default UI=0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,1
XyWin  WG  3.96 secs
XyWin  WZ  5.91 secs

Surely your programmer understands that the ONLY way for a user
to get into this position is very deliberately (I don't think one
can do it through the menus, not UI=1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0); so
obviously users can find their own way back out of the black hole
if that's what they want. In any case, it is inaccurate to state
that \688 only goes up if the PRline isn't otherwise in use! It
goes up on *every* *single* *keystroke*, and thereby wipes out
any existing PRompt. The whole thing is simply a mistake, is all
it is. Let's dump it and move on to testing your OS/2 version.
How's it coming? You sly sly fox you, our faith turns out to be
warranted at last!

Robert J. Holmgren holmgrn@xxxxxxxx