Re: For Myron G. Re: XyWrite development

I am glad to hear that you can enable 36 windows, since there may
be someone somewhere who needs more than 9. I practically never
have found reason to keep more than 5 files open.

On the other hand, the implementation of TWO windows open at the
same time, arranged either horizontally or vertically, is
primitive in
XYDOS, and in XYWIN has all the time-wasting characteristics of
working with Windows. My 1988 version of PC-WRITE automatically
divides the screen in two. You can edit two parts of the same
file that way. If you close one file, the 2-window configuration
stays there while you load a new one in the old window.

As I remember, Nota Bene 4, in addition to its superior file
management, handled two open windows much better than XY does.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia PA 19104-3325