Re: PDF a XY file

** Reply to message from marc@xxxxxxxx on Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:39:53
+1200 (NZST)

> Does anyone know of a method to generate PDF documents from XY Write III files?

Install Ghostscript and (optionally) GSview. In the *example* command line
that follows, I assume that you've installed GSWIN32C.EXE (Ghostscript command
line executable) in D:\GS\gs8.51\bin

Download POSTGHST.ZIP from this message:
 http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/xysearch.cgi?xywrite/2005/msg00254.htm
and extract 3POSTGST.PRN from the ZIPfile

Load this printer file:
 lp 3postgst.prn

TYF your XyWrite document to produce a PS output file called e.g. XY3.PS in a
hypothetical D:\XY3 directory:
 TYF ,D:\XY3\XY3.PS

Issue two separate commands in a DOS session:
1: set GS_LIB=D:\GS\gs8.51\lib;D:\GS\fonts;
2: D:\GS\gs8.51\bin\GSWIN32C.EXE -dCompatibilityLevel=1.2 -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=D:\XY3\XY3.PDF -c save pop -f D:\XY3\XY3.PS
(That second command is all on ONE line!)
Result: Xy3.PDF

Put those two commands in a BATch file using replaceable parameters for the
input/output filename, e.g.
 D:\GS\gs8.51\bin\GSWIN32C.EXE -dCompatibilityLevel=1.2 -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=D:\XY3\%1.PDF -c save pop -f D:\XY3\%1.PS
then to run the BATch file you say:
 MAKEPDF.BAT MYFILE
Result: MYFILE.PS is converted into MYFILE.PDF (after you TYF source document
MYFILE.XY3 in XyWrite). Change the Ghostscript and Xy3 d:\paths to match your
installations.

View the resulting PDF in GSview or Acrobat. This solution costs NZ$ 0.
Ghostscript is the standard printing solution under Linux; it is not an
esoteric utility. I don't understand what bearing the rest of your information
(about your print shop and procedure) has on the basic question... or how a PDF
resolves your "issue" -- presumably, we can safely skip that.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx