Re: Grrr [OS2 and XY install]

>You're not the only one who's puzzled, though I don't suppose this is the
>place to discuss my OS/2 woes. There's apparently something about my
>hardware OS/2 doesn't like. Unfortunately, it's very ordinary

   Is it a Gateway? They have put out some bizarro motherboards that don't
meet IBM clone standards.

>hardware--no CD, no unusual drivers, plain VGA, etc. IBM has been no help.
>The Herb is stumped. OS/2 is sitting in a box now. And I understand this is
>not unusual; this is one finicky operating system.

  Sheer and utter nonsense! Very few people have problems, actually. But,
if you recall, I advised you to re-partition your drive to give you a small
(65-100 meg) "system" partition, the rest for your programs and data, then
if things go wrong, or you want to try a new OS, you only have to reformat
that small part of the disk, everything else stays safe. To say that OS/2
somehow ate your disk is absurd -- the problem is almost always operator
error, not OS malfunction.
  And as for IBM's tech support not being able to resolve it, or Tyson --
do you have any conception as to just how difficult it is to diagnose
computer problems over the phone? I do it for people -- almost invariably a
clueless windoz user -- all the time and it is quite often excruciatingly
tedious and painful. They don't know what the hell they are doing, I can't
see what they are typing, or what the screen actually says, and we go round
and round. Even very simple problems become horrendus when trying to fix
them long distance.
  In my experience, 99% of the problems that new user have is from not
reading the documentation (starting with the READ.ME file on the
installation disk) and not actually looking at the screen and reading and
perceiving what the damn thing is trying to tell you. It simply amazes me
how many people will sit there and say "what do I do now?" and I say "what
does the screen say?" and they say "nothing" -- when there is a menu staring
them in face. And then it's "oh, the program is no good", "warp doesn't
work", etc.

--
Harmon Seaver
hseaver@xxxxxxxx

We have found the Fountain of Youth in Asia!