Re: WHEREIS

		As far as I can tell, find does the same
		thing as [WHEREIS.COM a/k/a WHERE] but better.
		Same results, but find does it within xyW,
		provides sizes and dates, and leaves a call
		command on the CMline. 	--me

	This presumes that one is running XY almost
	all the time, if not actually as a system
	"shell" (which some have done). XY and my
	file mgr. app. (ZTree Bold, a much improved
	clone of the old XTree) are a couple things
	that tend to always be running for me, --Jordan Fox

xyWrite was indeed my shell and only file manager before
win95-imposed lfn and long dir names; now I use it to
file manage only 8+3 dirs. But I did use the old XTree
(exclusively) to undelete files. The ZTree Bold release
I tried didn't have the feature. Does it now?

I eliminate a lot of lfn by using the Windows Commander
wildcard file rename option. You can in effect e.g.:
	ren *.html *.htm
I also found that in early win95 you can rename all
default directories with long names except \START MENU
if you also edit registry default directory names. (By
default, new installs now ask whether the app should be
installed in the \MS_DREK subdir.) Later win95 seems to
have some MSIE hooks in the kernel even if MSIE isn't
installed, so it insists on two MSIE subdirs with dos
names and a \TEMPORARY FILES (or some such) subdir as
well as \START MENU.

	but then I typically have 8 or 9 things running,
	because OS/2 is so stable and multi-tasks
	extremely well. I would not recommend anyone
	try that with W95/98, or even NT.

Are W95/98 and NT all installed in your system? If not,
what is the basis of your sweeping comparison with Warp?

	You're quite right about Xy's FIND, though.
	It does everything an old favorite, FF from
	the Norton set (much better than the freeware
	DOS util.s did), and more. The desktop Finder
	included with your o.s., whatever it is, will
	be just fair at best. I don't think much of
	any of the Windows ones. The Finder in OS/2
	is better[. ...]

I wouldn't know about win95's find, I've never tried it.
At some point every day I silently thank Joe Solla and
Robert Orndorff for persuading me to try Windows Commander
--truly a Windows file management Swiss army knife. Its
search command (file name or text--files containing or *not*
containing a search string) generates a window listing all
found files within the search scope and gives you choices
of what it should do next: view file, new search, go
to file, or feed list to listbox. If the last and you
want to, you can then transfer the names to the clipboard
and simultaneously to a file by designating a NoteTab
"pasteboard" file.

The NoteTab text editor's pasteboard feature is the tool
I use to transfer clipboard text between win95 apps and
xyW. When you copy text to clipboard from any Windows app,
NoteTab copies it to the designated file. To transfer
text from xyW to win95 I save text to designated file
(automated by an xpl routine), open the file in NoteTab,
and copy text to clipboard. At some point every day I also
silently thank Dorothy Day for her strong recommendation
of NoteTab--truly a Windows text processing Swiss army knife.

	xyWrite 3 supplements !xyWise and !xyWiz +
	Wolfgang Bechstein's seafaring adventures: