XyWrite in DOS window locks up W98

I've configured XyWrite 3.55 to work in a DOS window under Windows 98.

Often, when I'm on the Internet, I want to work in XyWrite. I often want to
insert text into a XyWrite file, pasting from the clipboard using the DOS
window toolbar. Then I do some editing to clean up the HTML file.

Often, XyWrite locks up, then Windows 98 locks up. XyWrite doesn't take any
keyboard input at all. In Windows, it seems as if the keyboard is locked
into having the "Windows" key on. Every time I hit the "e" key, for
example, I launch Windows Explorer. I have to shut down XyWrite with
ctrl-alt-del, and then shut down Windows with the mouse.

This is a minor annoyance except when I'm in a hurry, at which time it's a
major annoyance.

Can anybody figure out what's going on and how or whether I can change it?

Norman

PS:

I have the following settings in the Properties box, which I think are
default:

Conventional memory
Total: Auto
Initial environment: Auto