Re Deleting files

ON 5/5/05, Jordan wrote:
≪I'm running DR-DOS 7.03 ...W2K can see and access C:, but eCS 1.1
cannot. It is as though the partition does not exist.≫

Hmm. That is weird. I cannot test anything, since I don't have ECS or
OS/2 or anything resembling them. I do recall that one could not install
Win 95, when it first came out, over Novell DOS 7, but that was, IIRC,
primarily because they had different methods of putting the PC into
protected mode. When you right-click on the drive from Windows My
Computer, and then click on Properties, what file system does Windows
think it's using?

I just came across some additional history on Dr/Novell DOS: a columnist
was reminiscing about Digital Research and CP/M, and said:
≪DRI was bought ...by Novell, and, in 1996, Novell sold all rights to
DRI software to Caldera, which subsequently acquired--and changed its
name to--SCO. But first Caldera...released all DRI software for
noncommercial use, but did not place it in the public domain. Caldera
then spun off a company called Lineo ...[which] took all the DRI rights
with it.≫

As the columnist was primarily concerned with CP/M, he didn't go into the
ramifications as regards Novel DOS 7. If it was "released for
noncommercial use" one wonders what "rights" Lineo controls. But then
this is SCO, and who knows what they're doing?

And one last tidbit on opsyses: the same journal reported this about OS
X:

≪Apple has Darwin, a version of OS X running on Intel Pentium 4 systems.
You can download a PC-bootable CDS image from Apple
(http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/). It doesn't include the
OS X GUI or any of Apple's OS X applications, but it's fully working
open-source UNIX.≫

Given the reports that people have been running XyW on Macs with VPC,
this might be an option. Question: if XyW works on Macs under VPC, why
not on native *nix with EMSDOS or Wine?
Patricia