NTVDM

I've been troubleshooting the following event (error) that was
appearing regularly in my event log:
-----------------
Event ID: 1517
Source: Userenv
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_HIVE_SAVED
Message: Windows saved user %1 registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
This is often caused by services running as a user account, try
configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or
NetworkService account.
Thought it was Symantec Anti-Virus (corporate) at first, but could not reproduce it by disabling/enabling those services. Tried the same thing with the spooler and other services. Then I was reading an exchange between Robert and Harry about NB8 and NTVDM, to wit: Robert pointed out that NB can leave the service/process running after you shut down the program. Lo and behold... Process explorer showed NTVDM running all the time on my machine, a leftover of NB. And when I restarted with NTVDM left running, I could reproduce error 1517 at will. So, the question: how does one get NB to shut down NTVDM? Thank you.
Michael Norman