Re: Pining away for your old Northgate keyboard?

Michael P. Kube-McDowell wrote:

> > Gateway may still make those keyboards too. Dunno. I haven't seen 'em in their
> > adds recently.
> >

> Completely different animal. The Northgate OmniKey keyboard was the
> "power writer's" keyboard--click-tactile as smooth and solid as IBM,
> function keys on the left where God intended them to be,

Ah yes. It is lovely to be able to hit alt+fkey or ctrl+f key with one hand.

> a lily-pad
> sized ENTER key,

Actually Gateway has those.

> switchable for the location of CNTR ALT and CAPS

?? For thems that wants 'em switched. I suppose that is a good thing.

> (complete with extra keycaps and a keycap puller).

Now that is major!

> Jerry Pournelle
> was a big advocate of them (there was even a special model made to
> his specs for a time), and a lot of people who bought systems from
> other people threw away the keyboard in favor of a Northgate.

Sounds like another plus. To the best of my knowledge, Gateway will not sell
their peripherals to non-Gateway customers.

> I've bought two Gateways and been more than well pleased with those
> decisions, but the Gateway keyboards have never come close to the
> Northgate in quality or useability, IMO.

Thanks for the info!

> Best,--
Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press