Re: Useful Utility

Paul Breeze wrote:
Since the subject of NTFS, has come up on the list, are there any
advantages to switching from FAT32 to NTFS? I use Windows 2000,
primarily on FAT32
NTFS uses space more efficiently (not usually an issue nowadays, with
the size of hard drives, unless it's a laptop or you're into video
editing or downloading movies), and I BELIEVE there are certain
advantages when it comes to W2K administration. The best setup that I
know of is selective: you have your data on (once more, with feeling)
a SEPARATE PARTITION, and make that Fat32; your opsys is on its own
partition, NTFS. Robert advocates putting your apps on yet a third
partition; theoretically, it's logical, but Windows apps are designed
to go into c:\Program Files, and fight tooth and nail to go there. I
long ago decided it wasn't worth the struggle (but recall that Robert
uses OS/2 a lot; perhaps there it works better, and more power to
him.) I mostly--except on very small drives--have a separate partition
for DOS apps, including XyWin. And a separate partition for the swap
file (pagefile.sys in W2K/XP, Win386.swp in 9x) vastly increases
efficiency; and enormously decreases the instances of hung shutdowns
otherwise so common in 98SE.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx