Re: Proportional font in XY-Win

Nathan Sivin:
>I assume you are printing via Windows, which is the main attraction of
>XyWin. If not, you have access to the non-TrueType fonts supplied with
>XyWin and any non-TrueType fonts supplied with your printer. If you are

Actually, on my Windoze machine, I don't have a printer connected --
I print only to fax from that one. The problem in this case is that
that I needed to fax a location map to about 20 people, which would
a snap via the fax program -- except that the map, which prints out
nicely on the DOS printer from XY3, refuses to come out properly
in *any* font and *any* typesize in XYWin, Courier included. Help...

>widespread standard proportional font, I find it rather blah, and have
>standardized on the graceful and distinguished Garamond (GARMOND in
>XyDOS and GARAMOND (W1) in XyWin) for documents and even correspondence.

I am not a graphics person. Palatino and Arial are quite enough for
me in Windoze, and if I want to play, there is a whole army of fonts
on the Mac, including one that represents my handwriting (great for
signatures on the fly).
Again, the problem here is that I needed to send an ASCII map, which
by definition needs a non-proportional font. I can *look* at it
non-proportionally in XY-Win in expanded mode, but something funny
happens to it on the way to graphics...

--Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo
--Wednesday this week: St. Clinton promises manna from heaven for all.