Re: Public Domain

Although I sympathize with the sentiments regarding the desire to have
the XyWrite code available in the public domain, that does not seem to
be a very practical idea for us. First, there is a substantial amount
of proprietary intellectual property embedded in our code, even from
III+. By making it available to the public we would lose a great deal
of our protection.

Second, as you probably know, much of the code from that period is in
assembly language and I seriously doubt how easily it could be picked up
and utilized constructively. While the code is certainly documented
internally, it is not documented in a way one might want if it were to
be worked on by complete strangers.

Finally, as to the suggestion that we could somehow disconnect the
"XyWrite" part from the "SmartWords" part, that is simply impossible,
since the functions are totally bound together.

I just didn't want anyone to spend too much time thinking about this,
since it simply doesn't seem feasible.

K.