Re: XyWrite and Windows 7

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"
 on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:39:00 -0500

> Besides Virtual PC, there is something in W7 called XP Mode,
> that is supposed to let one run older programs. But it is only
> available in Business and Ultimate, not in Starter or Home
> Premium.

XP mode is just slimmed-down Virtual PC -- and VPC is free (yes,
the Microsoft VPC website says that VPC only works with certain
high-end versions of Vista/Win7, but I've read that if you go
ahead and install it anyway, it works -- you should Google this
issue thoroughly to double-check my info). A very interesting
fact is that every installation DVD for Win7 contains all the
code for all the versions, which allows you to upgrade your
version instantly, by paying M$ and then they send you an unlock
code, and you've already got everything you need!

If all you're going to do is run XyWrite or DOS apps, I'd
install the lightest OpSys that understands NTFS, namely
Win2000, not XP. And you certainly want XyWrite to have
read/write access to the parent file system -- Google that
little detail too, because that's important!

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx