Re: XyWrite and Windows 7

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"
 on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:39:00 -0500

> Robert
> manages to get his apps on a D: drive, but I don't have enough
> knowledge to do that with Win-native apps: they want to go on
> C:\Program Files, and get very cranky if you don't let them.

What I believe I said (and what I believe) is that if the native
Win installer let's you do a "Custom" install, you should always
push that button. The initial *default selection* of options
under "Custom" will be identical to what you'd get if you pushed
"Full" or "Automatic" or "Default" or whatever the hands-off
install method is labeled -- except for two things: you (often)
learn what exactly is being installed, and you almost always
have the choice of moving the installation to another partition
or drive location.

If there's no "Custom" option, then you have to go with
"C:\Program Files" or whatever the installer wants. But in my
experience, the great majority of installers, way over 90%, do
give you a choice. Occasionally the README will say that if you
don't put it in the default (hands-off) location, there may be
consequences, like special steps if you update the program
later, but... in general, that's my recipe.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx