Re: Cross-refs to footnotes

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Carl Distefano wrote:

> Reply to note from Dorothy Day  Thu, 25 Sep 97 23:35:57 +0000
>
> -> REF does double duty for either footnote numbers or other
> -> counters; XyWin does not seem to allow its use for referring to
> -> free text (unnumbered) items, as NB does.
>
> Dorothy:
>
> The concept of a reference to free text eludes me. Aren't cross-
> references supposed to apply specifically to numbered items ("As
> discussed on page [x]...", "See note [y]..."), so that the reference
> is automatically renumbered if the page or footnote number changes?
>
> How does one refer to an unnumbered item? Could you give an
> example?

Carl,

	Here's the choice from the NB menu:

+-Cross Referencing--- Code-+
 Label text

-View Labels----------------
 1st series notes
 2nd series notes
 3rd series notes
 Numbered items (counters)
 Unnumbered item (text)

-Refer to Labels------------
 Item number
 Page number
 Chapter number

+----------------------------+

If you choose the Unnumbered item (text), any label you have in a place
that is *not* adjacent to some counter is displayed, to allow you to
select the one you want. However, you're right; once you've selected the
label, you still have to select some counter (note, page, chapter,
section etc. number) to indicate the location of the item labeled. So
there's no real difference in the end. I confess I don't often use this
feature, so was much too imprecise about its usage!

	Here's how it might look:

≪FN1≪LBpyr#≫≪RP≫≪LBpyrnote≫Here is a note about pyramids.≫
Here is a reference to pyramids: see note ≪REFpyr#≫; you could also
cite the contents: ≪REFpyrnote≫.

(The RP delta is NB's way to refer to the punctuation style selected
when setting up the style manual format at the top of the document.)

	It's almost hypertextual...

	--Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."