Re: Invisible line break

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Tue, 4 Mar
2003 16:59:17 -0500

> If Robert is right ... the separator table is a washout.
> But I notice the CG SAYS "XyWrite uses these characters when you perform
> a function on a word....Such functions include...hyphenating."

Please try it yourself. If your mileage varies, you benefit, and we learn.
But I promise you that [259] and [260] will be rejected by the SE: table --
that's 100% certain. And BTW, the difference between 196 and 259|260 is a very
old story.

Also: Paul said:
> One can kludge a solution by surrounding em-dashes or following en-dashes by
> a "thin space" character (existing in some fonts) (a regular space is too
> large aesthetically...

I'm dubious. I believe that the _only_ character that will allow a line
break|wrap is the space character Ascii 32. I mean, look at the contents of
the default "word" separator line: chars like
+=()[]{}<>:;'",.?/|\!. IIRC, Chris was suggesting that if you added e.g. an
invisible "^" char to this list, somehow the line would break after it (and you
wouldn't see the "^" because it's invisible). But ask yourself: have you
_ever_ seen a line break after one of those +=()[]{}<>:;'",.?/|\! characters
when not immediately followed by a space?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx