Re: ancient Views

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Mon, 24 May 1999 10:23:26 -0300

> When Views.pm works properly it is amazingly fast and smooth in Xy3.57 It
> doesn't work in Xy4.

No, it probably doesn't. When I get a chance, I'll look at the code (when
I find it)...

> > Gosh, VIEWS.PM must date from the 80s. Time flies. Where did you get
> XYWPMKIT.ZIP?

> Steady on there! It's just coming up to 10 years old. I found it in the
> XyIII section of XYWWWEB.

Not there. You got it elsewhere. The BBS, maybe? I think it was there at
one time...

> For the sake of comparison I tried the same sequence with TWOSCR in
> Xy4.017. It works, but on my 33MHz 486-SL laptop it takes nearly 16 seconds
> to jump from position 64240 to the top of the file (using TWOSCR, of
> course). For smaller jumps it is vastly speedier (less than 1/2 second),
> though not quite as quick as VIEWS.PM in Xy3.57.

I just loaded a 1092Kb file into Xy4DOS running on a 133Mhz P1 laptop.
Five other windows are open. I did some times, using func ZT and .
 >From TOF to position 64240, 0.03 secs. From 64240 to 0, 0.73 secs. From TOF
to EOF, 0.52 sec; EOF to TOF, 0.38 sec. From TOF to 589823 (one byte less
than a segment barrier), 0.23 sec; from 589823 to TOF, 0.92 sec. Pretty
reasonable, given that most of that time is devoted to adjusting the screen
so that it looks just as it did when you were last in that position, i.e.
top and bottom lines on the screen are identical, cursor is in same
position). Those were in eXPanded view. In Draft view, times were about
the same (a little more jumping backward in the file). Incidentally,
discovered a dumb bug in the routine, which I'll fix in the next XYWWWEB
version...

All the best,

---------
Robert Holmgren