ancient Views

Regarding my Xy3 problem Robert Holmgren wrote:

> Here's my suggestion, for a simple workaround. Before you
> start using VIEWS on a given document, simply go to EOF, then to TOF, then
> back to your current cursor position. Then run VIEWS. It should be more
> reliable. The issue here is not "releasing" memory, but simply reading the
> entire document into XyWrite...

Hmmm. It didn't help. Here are the memory/size stats:
 Total file size: 109,700
 Position of SEarched text (view 2): 64,240
 Original position in view 1: 0
 Position in view 1 when returning from view 2 SEarch: 27,463
 func ME report: 244 available memory
 no overflow file
 Views.pm identifier: v1.0c for XyWrite v3.54+ R.J. Holmgren 10/28/89

When Views.pm works properly it is amazingly fast and smooth in Xy3.57 It doesn't
work in Xy4.

> Gosh, VIEWS.PM must date from the 80s. Time flies. Where did you get
> XYWPMKIT.ZIP?

Steady on there! It's just coming up to 10 years old. I found it in the XyIII
section of XYWWWEB.

For the sake of comparison I tried the same sequence with TWOSCR in Xy4.017. It
works, but on my 33MHz 486-SL laptop it takes nearly 16 seconds to jump from
position 64240 to the top of the file (using TWOSCR, of course). For smaller jumps
it is vastly speedier (less than 1/2 second), though not quite as quick as VIEWS.PM
in Xy3.57.

Myron