Re: XP question

** Reply to message from Bill Troop  on Thu, 01 Aug 2002
19:42:13 -0400

> If I'm in XP, and I invoke command prompt, and I am in C:\, I can get to
> the directory "documents and settings" by typing CD and then putting quote
> marks around "documents and settings". But if I go to dos from XyWrite, the
> only way I can get to this directory is by typing the first six letters,
> plus tilde, plus 1 (or 2, etc. etc.). Anyone know why this is so and if
> there is any workaround?

Natively, XyWrite4-DOS is limited to 8.3 filenaming conventions -- hence the
tilde and truncated name (a welcome compatibility convention used by M$ under
Win32 VFAT, FAT32, and NTFS file systems).

Under OS/2 I devised a system (in U2) called "File Manager" (FM), which enables
you (with commands like DIR2, CA2, SA2, DEL2, AB2, etc) to manipulate long
filenames. Right after v112 came out, I extended FM to work in Win32 also, and
added a capability to manipulate LAN or WAN network files & directories. The
new FM will be included in v113, forthcoming. FM requires XyShell.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx