Re: OT but somewhat relevant: & in file names

Reply to note from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  Mon,
06 Aug 2007 16:25:55 -0500

Patricia:

> And & wasn't reserved for years. Why do they have to keep
> changing things? I suppose I can use ac or et, but that's 2
> characters to the ampersand's one, and I try to keep to the 8.3
> rule.

There's no need to change the directory name! The ampersand is
still allowed in filenames. Just remember to "escape" it (type "^&"
instead of "&") when you issue COMMANDS that refer to the directory
name. It's not exactly onerous: the two characters in question are
adjacent to each other on the QWERTY keyboard.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx