Off topic: Jargon file

Idle query, but for years I've seen and heard "OS" used as the short form
for "operating system." On this list, I have noticed, people mostly say
"opsys." Much more euphonic (adjacent vowels being rare and awkard in
English; that's why we have "a" and "an"), but is there any deeper
significance to the variation? For instance, if the willing slaves of
Redmond say "OS", and rebels against that tyranny say "opsys," "OS"
will
never again cross my lips, pen, or keyboard.
Patricia