Re: OT: Books on writing?

 I agree. It seems to me that "edit-as-you-go" is more concerned
 with getting the sentence, or small block of sentences, right,
 in the sense of making them say what one wants them to say--
 which curiously one may not be clear about until one forces
 oneself to express oneself in writing on the subject (the paradox
 of the Plato's dialogue _Meno_ is wrapped up in this)--whereas
 the editing that is done once the text is completed is more apt to
 have as its objective to see to it that there is flow and correct
 timing to the overall argument. In the so-called "final edit,"
 (it rarely is the "final edit") one is usually assuring oneself that
 the sentences and paragraphs are well integrated into the whole,
 and if there are paranthetical remarks made, they are easily
 identified as such, so as to prevent the reader from being confused.

 M. W. Poirier

------