Re: 'Too Many Page Elements'

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Fri, 02 Mar 2001
00:17:04 -0500

> I know there is VA $PG, but that depends on being in page-line mode

Yeah, that's a pain. But you could write a little program that
toggles into Page-Line view, records  at the current cursor
position and at EOF, JuMPs back to the current cursor position,
toggles back to whatever the other view was, and reports "Page x of y"
on the PRompt line. Jumbo U2's PGS does some of that --
reports the total number of pages only.

But your other posts solved my problem. The slider that appears with the
smaller window (had forgotten about that because I almost always use full-screen). And more interesting the % command in the .U2 file. I'll just load that to a key.

And more interesting still was learning about FMARK. Here's a great use for it:
put it on every key that has BF or TF assigned to it (e.g., the END key and the HOME key). If you put it before the TF or BF, it marks the spot so that if you hit the END or HOME key--accidentally or on purpose--you can get right back to where you were. I also use it on keys that do searches, so that if I find several occurrences of some word in the file, I can move easily back through them (seb would also work, but this is more economical on key assignments).

It's amazing that FMARK doesn't alter the file, yet can keep up with
changes to the file, and even survives reopening the file. I'll have to look at the code to see how that is accomplished.

Xywwweb.U2 is almost a victim of its own success: there are so many great
things in it that you can't remember them all. (Well, maybe YOU can, but I can't.)

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx