help!

I have switched to eCS and installed XY4, and am happily back at XPL, BUT I
can't get my computer to print to my Canon BJC 5100 or BJ 2000. From XY4 or
from the Java editor bundled with eCS. I know some of you will think this is
off-list, but I hope you will consider my thought that it's actually very
relevant, because with the new Windows which will not support DOS
applications, one of the only choices in the future for we who wish to
continue using XY3 or XY4 is going to be eCS.

I have tried the omni printer file eCS includes, and have emailed eCS tech
support several times. My brother has tried a bunch of things, none of which
worked, including trying to use the driver that came with the printer (which
is obviously intended for Windows only). If I hook up an old dot matrix
printer, fine. But not any of the Canons. My brother says its because the
Canons don't have internal CPU's and are dependent upon the computer's CPU,
and eCS does not support them. eCS tech support made a bunch of lame
recommendations (make sure the port is enabled in the BIOS - duh), and now
have gone silent on me (yes, I stayed nice and courteous and humble and
didn't say any of the pithy things I really wanted to say).

Can anyone help? Am I missing something, or is this really a problem that
someone knows about?