Re: faulty spell checker/dictionary?

Patricia asked:

≪I cannot comment on XyIII--too many eons since I last used it. But in
4, spl files that one creates oneself (I have several, each for a
different type of writing) are perfectly editable. The trick is to use
stspell filename.spl to save a personal spl file after adding words.
Then you can CA and edit that file. See CRG, 3-87. In 4, dict.spl is
definitely uneditable, though I cannot find it explicitly stated in
the CRG. But I just READ--and aborted it instanter--it, and it's
obviously a binary file.

It sounds to me as if something might have gotten saved to the wrong
file. Does III have the equivalent of STSPELL?≫

My Xy3.55 has 'dict.spl', noneditable and nonreadable in xy3. Also
'diction'(no suffix) which is the hyphenation dictionary; this is
readable and editable in xy3. Personal dictionaries are created with the
command 'new filename.spl'. Then words are added manually; the file is
SAved, and LOADed to suppliment the 'dict.spl'. It may be possible to
add words automatically to the personal file; I don't know, I never
tried it. In response to the cmd 'stspell filename.spl', my xy3 returned
the message 'file exists, overwrite it?' It was past midnight here and I
was too tired to risk bollocksing up my personal dictionary, so I
aborted at that point. Maybe tomorrow I can create a test personal
dictionary, try adding words to it with F5 or F6 cmds in the
spellchecker window, and retry the 'stspell filename.spl' cmd.

Incidentally, my CRG states, pg. 3-88 note 8, that the spellchecker
requires access to a file called SPELL.OVR, as well as DICT.SPL, to
function correctly. My setup has a file called WORD.OVR, but not
SPELL.OVR. Robt, is this an known variation?