Re: Puzzling lack of F8: The Answer!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've solved both the F8 and the F12
problems--and only the latter is Xy-related.

F8: the culprit is a seemingly unrelated program in my bootup StartUp folder (not to be confused with Xy's startup.int). The offending program is "UltraMon" which makes using dual monitors a teensy bit more intuitive. It puts a taskbar (if that's the right term) at the bottom of the second monitor. I can easily live without UltraMon.

F12: this was the one that I only noticed after working a long time on F8: the keystroke was picked up in Xy (testing with IDKEY.PM) only every third time I hit the key. I think this one is interesting: I thought the .kbd file had the null assignment after its scan code: 88={255}{cr-lf}. Turns out I had the three-byter for {255}--i.e., {255}{46}{46}. I must have put it in using the alt-shift way of getting ASCII assignments (i.e., NN,2 NN,5 NN,5).

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx