Re: XY and Memory Weirdness

In article <199701290915.BAA15017@xxxxxxxx>,
Bob Brody wrote:
>If I recall correctly, you don't need to keep dict.spl loaded
>while working unless you have auto spell (don't remember the
>actual name of the feature) turned on to flag misspellings while
>you're writing. Reason being, when you issue the spell check
>command (Ctrl-S or whatever, function call SO), it loads the
>dict.spl file for you. If you unload it, you reclaim a bunch of
>memory (100k or so) for XyWrite. You don't need dict.spl loaded
>to use auto-replace since that info comes from your pers spl
>file(s), not from dict.spl.

I had to read this graf three times before the lightbulb clicked.
Some time in 1988 or so I modified startup.int to activate auto-check
with auto-replace, and haven't once touched the setting since. It had
completely slipped my mind that auto-check and auto-replace are two
completely different functions.

>I worked it like this: I mapped my memory usage screen (function
>call ME) to a key, say, Ctrl-M. Spell (function SO) was on
>Ctrl-S. In the memory usage screen I think the Standard
>Dictionary (dict.spl) was the first Feature listed and was
>numbered with a dash (as opposed to an integer). Simply, -

[snip]

>50=me,cd,-

Ahhhh, this is so slick! It's now on my keyboard, too, and in
startup.int (mutatis mutandis), along with this:

>  DOS /C

Of course, I've also changed the AC setting in startup.int to AR. And
as a result of all these changes, free memory has jumped from around
199 to more than 340. I wouldn't have believed it possible.

If you've got any other suggestions, please feel free -- you've got my
complete attention!

Thanks,

-- Steve Carter @ poring through the manual to figure out what other
fossilized crud is in my startup files

Stephen A. Carter      High-Tech Information Center Ltd., Nagoya
                   Nagoya, Japan
http://www.hticn.com