Re[2]: Installation of XyWin; REinstall

At 01:12 11.10.2002 pmgodfrey@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> What does "Just start Win9x in the Protected Mode" mean? All 32-bit OSes
> are running in protected mode (that is, all RAM is available to the OS,
> as opposed to DOS mode, where only the lower 640 K is available). From
> what follows, I assume you mean Safe Mode, in which no special drivers
> are loaded.

I thought that it is called "Safe Mode" in Win 2000 but "Protected
Mode" in Win9x - but maybe I am wrong and it is called "Safe Mode" in
both. I use the German versions of Win and the naming might be
different. ("Safe Mode" in Win 2000, but "Abgesicherter Modus" in
Win9x.) However, if you use the shortcuts "Ctrl" or "F5" it will lead
you into the right direction despite of its name.

> But I still say the best M.O. is to make a clean installation on a
> DOS machine (quick, while one can still find one), and copy it to a
> CD or ZIP disk, to have handy for each "upgrade."

Is it possible to install XyWin under DOS? I could not find a way to
unpack the setup files as they do not seem to be in a custom format.