Re: Installation of XyWin; REinstall

Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> I think it's a good idea to do a complete reinstall of the OS and all one's
> apps periodically. Windows morphs. That's all there is to it. Things get
> skewed, bits of apps that you installed and then removed are still
> lurking about, clogging the system and mucking things up.

> every two or three years set aside a couple of weeks to format C: and reinstall
> everything.

This was certainly true of Win up through NT-4. I assume it will prove the same
for W2K, though I can't really say yet with certainty. This is one of the many
things I have really loved about OS/2. It's design is object oriented (which
partly boils down to a lot of modularity and decentralization); it's Registry has
but a tiny fraction of the complexity of the WIN Registry. For good system
health, you still need to periodically clean the Registry and the Desktop
structures, using a good system tool like UniMaint. But, having always done that,
I have *never* needed to reinstall the OS. I mean, it's 1997 and counting, with
plenty of OS component and app. upgrades along the way. I've screwed the system
up a few times and managed to recover it, too. (And that was never true for NT.)
I know others who have been going considerably longer.

> So keep your data on a separate partition (or even a separate drive),

I'm sure that's a good idea, regardless of _which_ OS you happen to drive.

Jordan