Re: Discovery ... & counter problem

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Eric Van Tassel wrote:

> Now, my problem is this. It's wonderful to have ≪FN1≫ renumbering all the
> notes as soon as you add/delete one; but what's the most efficient way for
> me to insert a cross-reference that will stay intact when the notes are
> renumbered? At early-draft stage I realize I'm going to refer to the same
> extensive argument three times: the 2nd and 3rd times, I want to be able to
> say "(see n.00 above)". But until I decide the article is ready for
> publication, I don't know what number 00 is.
>
> What I think I'm looking for is a way in which I can insert a tag at the
> first instance, the "target" of potential cross-references -- let's say by
> putting in *** when I know that I'm going to cross-refer to that note --
> and then when I want to make the cross-reference, insert a command that
> will look for ***, determine the number (FOR THE TIME BEING) of the
> "target" note that contains the original ***, and then insert that pro-tem
> note number in the cross-reference. Anybody got any ideas?

Yes, what you're looking for is cross-referencing using REF and LB
tags. You put the LBlabel delta in the footnote before the variable
punctuation. Then you put the REF delta wherever you want to cite that
note, with your "(see note ≪REFlabel≫)" or wording of your choice.

I don't know how you specify just the footnote *number* in Xy4; XyWin
has a choice on the Insert menu for Refer to Label, and then lets you
check the Footnote number option; Nota Bene also runs this from a menu.
Some Xy4 user will have to finish these instructions for that case.

	Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."