Re: Discretionary characters (was: ... '[tilde]' Question

Reply to note from Eric Van Tassel <101233.342@xxxxxxxx> Sat,
7 Nov 1998 17:34:35 -0500

-> Postscript: "The devil [is in the detail(s)]..." would be a
-> good sig-file tag line for anyone dealing with computers; but
-> can anyone identify the source for me, and/or confirm whether
-> the original was "detail" or "details"?

For a brief second I thought you were poaching on Annie's territory,
but that would be "PostScript" with a majuscule S. ;-) (Thanks for
reminding me of that nice word, Carlo, but, um ,er, note the
spelling!)

I've always heard it with "details", plural. One also often hears
"God is in the details", a phrase that for some reason I associate
(wrongly, no doubt) with Nietzsche. Whatever the origin, experience
(mine, anyway) shows that both variants are true. No Manichaean, I.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/