Re: Re Counters in US

Reply to note from Patricia M Godfrey  Mon, 25
Feb 2002 19:16:41 -0500

> Golly! Do I get to inform our learned guru and maven about
> something?

Ah, so. Learned guru and maven often talk about what he know,
almost never talk about what he not know. Number one lesson in
learned guru and maven school. (Accounts for long stretches of
silence from learned guru and maven.)

> Here's the US format I'm using for my current project (I've
> changed the real enclosure characters to double greater-than
> and less-than symbols for ease in tranmission:
> ≪SSH1,SZ16PT,IP=0,0,MD=BO,NB3;≪C1≫.[tab]≫

Ah, SO! Right, the semi-colon! It comes back to me now.

> The NB3 code I found in a posting from Nathan Sivin dated
> 7/23/99 in the archives. He says, it "is a way of making them
> begin a 3-line non-breakable block, avoiding a heading marooned
> at the bottom of a page. I think that this use of NB is
> undocumented, but revealed by some ancient sage."

Nifty! Tricks like that make me wish I was still using Xy for my
professional writing.

This still, however, throws no light on the mysterious . Any
sage know what that means? Always returns 0 on my system,
regardless of the existence or absence of a Non-breakable Block.
May be unrelated to the command NB, or perhaps related but never
implemented.

> bless XyWrite for not putting you in a straightjacket...

Amen!

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx