Re: Nota Bene

At 02:45 AM 8/22/01 -0400, yesss@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>xyWin's (and xyDos's) and handle LFN the same. The
>other big nbWin "improvement" is the substitution
>of Courier for the system font in draft view. What's
>seldom discussed is that that's possible because the
>Smartwords kernel moves xyWrite from the IBM extended
>char set to the ANSI standard, which you may or may not
>find desirable. The only way to get back and forth is
>with file filters.

I have nothing against ANSI and am happy to work with XY-DOS in a Windows
environment -- a quick search/replace macro deals nicely with that.
However what I find truly annoying in NB is that the command line shows you
ASCII and the screen ANSI. This is especially bizarre if you work in a
language that uses accents (high Ascii). I don't suppose any of those NB
list members writes in a another language than English and uses the command
line?

>But, except for testing ported U2 xpl, when I want
>to use a Windows word processor, I load xyWin.

I would do the same, except installing it under Windows 9x is always such
an incredible hassle that on this current computer I simply did not bother.
NB installed like a normal Windows program, which is a hell of a difference.

>It well may be. (I don't expect ever to stop using
>xyWrite 3;

I would not say that. But I am sure I will use XY-DOS as long as I use
computers.

-- Rene von Rentzell