Re: Nota Bene

Question on installing NB.
I've just installed the demo NB file and am very impressed. This appears to be wonderful compromise that will please my Microsoft users in my office.
However, I can load my extensively customized xy.kbd file, but can't run
my also extensively customized startup.int file. (Sorry to say, I have
not yet loaded the U2 file.)
I keep getting an error message that says NB "cannot modify EG setting
while in graphics view."
Then the software crashes.

I have used the View command to change the setting from Graphics to draft mode.

========

At 05:33 PM 8/22/01 +0900, you wrote:
At 02:45 AM 8/22/01 -0400, yesss@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>xyWin's (and xyDos's) and handle LFN the same. The
>other big nbWin "improvement" is the substitution
>of Courier for the system font in draft view. What's
>seldom discussed is that that's possible because the
>Smartwords kernel moves xyWrite from the IBM extended
>char set to the ANSI standard, which you may or may not
>find desirable. The only way to get back and forth is
>with file filters.

I have nothing against ANSI and am happy to work with XY-DOS in a Windows
environment -- a quick search/replace macro deals nicely with that.
However what I find truly annoying in NB is that the command line shows you
ASCII and the screen ANSI. This is especially bizarre if you work in a
language that uses accents (high Ascii). I don't suppose any of those NB
list members writes in a another language than English and uses the command
line?

>But, except for testing ported U2 xpl, when I want
>to use a Windows word processor, I load xyWin.

I would do the same, except installing it under Windows 9x is always such
an incredible hassle that on this current computer I simply did not bother.
NB installed like a normal Windows program, which is a hell of a difference.

>It well may be. (I don't expect ever to stop using
>xyWrite 3;

I would not say that. But I am sure I will use XY-DOS as long as I use
computers.

-- Rene von Rentzell