Re: XPL early programming decision - whether to RC loop or custom .kbd

Reply to note from "Young For Life Products, Ltd"
 Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:41:30 -0500

> I am starting to write this XPL overview program, for
> organizing ideas and pieces in a writing project, and I have a
> key decision to make:
> [...]
> I can either write a series of RC loops that leaves the default
> keyboard alone, ... or I can temporarily load a special keyboard

RC, definitely. You don't want to be messing with other people's
keyboard files -- it's too intrusive. Plus, are you really going to
bundle a special .KBD file just for your program? Fuhgeddaboutit.

> for a screen which the user will use frequently, entering and
> exiting it automatically as they dip in and out of various
> parts of the whole project, I need to control the keyboard.
> Probably about twenty different actions, including cursor
> control to specific places on the screen, and menu actions.

I wonder whether you really want to control the user's keystrokes to
that extent. People get flustered when a program imposes "right"
and "wrong" keystrokes, especially if the task is complex (and it
sounds like your input screen is going to be fairly complicated).
Much better to let them use familiar keystrokes of their own
choosing.

You might consider breaking your routine into two separate programs:
one that calls up the input screen, leaves instructions and EXits;
and another that "lifts" and manipulates input from that screen
after the user has marked it up. Let the user do the marking up as
she sees fit.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx