Re: PHONE LINES

Harry:

I agree that it's got to be their CO. It's just Brenda's experience of never
having any noise threw me. If it's XY's local loop, it should exhibit the
noise, no matter where the originating call comes from, since the local loop
stays essentially the same. That's why I wondered if there was some particular
long distance carrier that was involved. That would indicate that there was a
problem with a particular connection from the long distance carrier into the
508 LATA, or into the local CO itself. The only other explanation I could see
for Brenda's not having problems would be the time of day factor, if she calls
at a particular time of day all the time. But the fact that you call in the
middle of the night -- when the phone network is near-dead -- and still get
noise sort of negates that. I suppose that a particular originating CO could be
boosting the volume slightly, thus overcoming XY's CO problems. I don't know.
I'm going over a Rolm digital net, to a modem pool, direct to AT&T's Megacom
800 service, bypassing the local loop entirely on this end, and I still have
line noise about half the time. I still wonder if it's not just that perhaps
XY has error-correcting modems, (even if they don't realize it) and that some
of the call-in modems are recognizing them. Later.
 Daryl