PHONE LINES

  Daryl--no I don't have call-waiting. The getting knocked off line is
undoubtedly due to a sudden degeneration of my local phone line on one of my
two numbers. I can barely hear the dial tone over what sounds like the munching
of ten-story termites.

  My l-d carrier is ITT. I used to have a different modem and I got noise
from it too. Sometimes noise can be caused by simply having your telephone too
close to the video monitor--the phone picks up stray RF emissions or something.
But since everybody except those in certain areas, such as D.C., reports
terrible line noise and ONLY on this BBS, I conclude it is Xy's central
exchange or local lines.

  Harry